Monday, August 13, 2007

Oh Starry Night, Family Vacation, etc...



This past weekend there was a meteor shower (if you didn't know that already). Topher, Victoria and I decided to go camping up at the Pinnacles on Saturday Night. When we got there we set up our site and headed off to the park for some hiking. Victoria really wanted to see the bats so we went to the caves and of course there were loud people in front of us, so there were no bats to be found. We ended up at a cool spot to take some photos and hung out there looking at the creatures, dragonflies and frogs for a while. At dusk the bats started to come out!!! Oh boy for someone like me who doesn't really like them it was a little weird at first but after a while with them flying over head and coming really really close at some point I got kind of used to it. We hung out for a bit longer and watched as the stars started to come out. Man what a beautiful scene. I forget how much I miss looking up and seeing the sky like that. You don't get that much out here.

We decided to hike back a little after 9 (so it was pretty darn dark), we had to walk back threw some caves which was an adventure! We saw a baby fox on the way back. Drove back to the camp ground, cooked dinner then headed out to an open spot to start taking some pictures. I saw a good number of shooting stars...didn't catch any with the camera but thats fine. After a while of trying to figure out how to actually capture the stars in general, we finally go there (as you can see by the photos above). I didn't get all that many photos (posted about 14 on my flickr site) because I feel asleep in the jeep!

We had fun, saw a bunch of creatures...deer, bats, frogs, fox, bunny, vultures, dragonflies etc. nice relaxing weekend and hope to do it again soon. I didn't realize how much I missed camping and doing out doors kind of things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 20 - 29th Family Vacation to Monterey!


Dad, Sue and Biz came out for the week to see me! WoooHooo.

Really couldn't of asked for a better time. It was their first trip out here to visit and hopefully not their last. We did a lot in a week, I'll give you the break down:

Friday they arrived and took the scenic drive down from San Fran. We went out to eat on Fisherman's Wharf. Saturday was nice and relaxing, went for a walk down the beach and around town. Sunday again was a lot of relaxing (we all got a lot of reading done...I finished the last Harry Potter in a week!) and that night we had a cook out and Luke and Lisa's place so they could meet some of my friends (and Sara and Jay's Friends too). Monday I took them to First Awakenings for breakfast (Sara and Jay's suggestion), then off to the Aquarium to check out the fish and to Canary Row. Tuesday we ended up in Carmel for the afternoon, ate at an awesome little place and had a great bottle of wine with lunch, then headed off to Chateau Julien for our wine tasting (oh boy it was really good!!), then to Farmer's Market. Biz got her birthday present there, a Henna Tattoo. Dad really enjoyed the farmer's market. Wednesday was Point Lobos and Big Sur. Thursday Sue and I took Surfing Lessons...you just got to see the photos, they speak for themselves! What a great time, we plan to do it again (well at least I do). Friday we headed up to San Francisco for the weekend, just hung out and relaxed in our not so great "hotel" room. Saturday we went to Alcatraz! Awesome. Then wandered around San Fran. Sunday we all went home...sad when you think that after that I won't see them for at least a year seeing as I don't plan to go home for Christmas this year. Which leads us to my next update...
(check out more photos here)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm bound for England and Italy!

My tickets have been bought. There is no turning back now. I'm off to England and Italy for two and a half weeks in December!!! I get to see my sister, brother in law and nephew for 2 1/2 weeks...that will be the longest I have seem them in over two years, how crazy. I miss them so much, and each day it gets harder to live this far away. Hopefully at some point we'll actually live near each other or at least on the same coast. My nephew is getting so big and all I get to see is photos (don't get me wrong, they are great, but its not him). I can't wait to just hug him and hang out with him. To top it off we will be in Italy together. A life long dream about to come true. We plan to spend Christmas and New Years in Italy! Oh my goodness.

Only a few more months!


Ok well for now I guess that is it. Should probably go and get some reading done.

No comments: